Jennifer Lopez epitomizes how sun kissed, flawless skin should look. Of course her skin is naturally divine to start with, but with a little make-up that beauty becomes next level gorgeous. With the right make-up combo and some tricks of the trade, you too can have skin that will be turning heads this summer.
Here’s my recipe for getting your glow on:
1) Start by moisturising cleansed skin. After a few minutes apply primer to highlight the temples, cheekbones, bridge of nose and middle of chin. This adds natural luminance.
2) Mix a 50/50 ratio of foundation and BB cream for a super soft, lightweight finish. Apply all over the face and blend well with a buffer brush. (Just use foundation if you prefer a little more coverage.)
3) Use the Lumi Magique Highlighter (select one to two shades lighter than your base colour) to conceal under eyes and lighten up the centre of the face. Brush a little on the centre of the forehead, just above the brows, and continue down bridge of nose. Next apply a few strokes across the cheeks, then a little above the cheek bones and finish with a daub just above the upper lip and centre of chin.
4) Bronze and contour. Apply a light dusting of Glam Bronze La Terra around outer face and jawline, and along the hollow under cheekbone.
5) Create a bronze shimmer by simply swirling your brush into both the bronzer and the Golden Shimmer eyeshadow. Add some of this shimmer down bridge of nose and along cheekbones, and then add a touch to the temples and to the base of the chin.
6) Finish the bronze glow look with a splash of Rosewood blush to the apples of the cheeks.
Tip: Use a large powder brush when applying bronzer and apply using light pressure, in a circular motion.
Summer holidays here we come! If you’re off to your favourite holiday destination in the next few months you may be compiling a ‘what to take list’ now. Make-up of course can be at the bottom of your list, as this is usually the time your face takes a holiday from your normal make-up routine as well. But just in case you want to be prepared for any event, including festive parties, here are my tips for being holiday savvy.
Keep it simple
A full kit of make-up is a little over the top, all you need is a small cosmetics bag with the essentials.
- BB Cream - for light coverage & skin care (L’Oréal Paris Nude Magique or Youth Code)
- CC Cream - especially the Nude Magique anti-redness emergency fix up for faces that are a little redder than they should be.
- Glam Bronze Duo - wear alone to even skin tone or use to fix tan lines. Can also be used as a blush, contour or a neutral eyeshadow.
- Nude Magique BB Powder - the heat can turn even normal skin shiny. If you know you’re prone to looking a little oily then use a light powder to keep the shine at bay.
- Waterproof Mascara - to keep your look natural try the Volume Million Lashes or Telescopic mascaras.
- Blush - if you are pale skinned then a little flush of blush will help give your skin a lift of colour. The True Match Blushes give a soft, subtle finish.
- Tinted Lip Gloss or Nutri Shine Lipstick - gloss with a little colour is always flattering and you won’t look overly made up. Nutri Shine lipsticks/balms give a natural finish plus keep lips soft and supple. Daub either products on with a finger for a more natural finish.
Go travel size
If you’re only away for a couple of weeks or travelling overseas you could consider repackaging a few of your products to travel size.
- Liquid products like foundations and BB Creams can be reduced in size by transferring them into smaller plastic bottles, which you can buy from most plastic stores and pharmacies.
- If you have a few favourite lipsticks and don’t mind using a lip brush, you could get a small pill box with dividers to carry them around in.
- Investing in a set of small travel brushes can also be good idea for saving space.
Beat the heat
Make-up products and heat do not mix. The hotter the destination the bigger the issue, so take some preventative measures to protect your make-up. While indoors keep products prone to melting, like eye pencils and lipsticks, in a fridge or even a chilly bin.
Keep products you take with you to the beach, like lip balm or sun block, in a snap lock bag to prevent it from getting gritty with sand.
When on holiday you should always allow time for a little pampering, like changing up your nail colour. Bright nail polishes are my favourite for showing off a tan and giving summer a boost of fun. Colour Riche Vernis nail polishes have a great range of colours and I’m especially loving the Limited Edition Summer Collection that is currently available. The extra bonus is they come in a perfect travel size, so you can easily pack 3 or 4!
Summer is finally here so get prepared and replenish your cosmetic bag with summer make-up essentials to ensure you look gorgeous all summer long, no matter what the occasion!
Here’s my list of summer must-haves…
- Sun block: choose one that gives maximum protection, but doesn’t leave your skin looking pasty or feeling sticky under your foundation. L’Oréal Paris’ UV Perfect is a great option.
- Bronzer: undoubtedly the most popular summer make-up product. Perfect for adding colour where needed and camouflaging tan lines. Select a bronzer 1 to 2 shades darker than your natural skin tone.
- BB or a CC Cream: a lightweight cover that enhances your skin’s appearance without looking overly done is the best choice for days at the beach or any occasion where you want to look naturally beautiful. Plus hot days and heavy make-up never mix well.
- BB Powder: hot conditions often produce shinier faces and while a soft sheen can be flattering and youthful, too much shine isn’t, so a small compact powder with a translucid finish is a must.
- Conditioning lipcolour: sun and surf can really dry out skin and lips, so opt for a lipcolour with balm ingredients to keep lips looking beautiful and soft, like the NutriShine by Colour Riche lipstick range. Nudy Coral is one of my favourite summer colours.
- Waterproof mascara and/or eyeliner: again heat and water are the main culprits for causing eye make-up to melt and smudge in summer. My long wear eyeliner pick this season is Super Liner Gel Intenza, perfect for creating gorgeous feline eyeliner looks.
- Bright colour: lipstick and/or nail polish in vivid red, pink or coral hues are great fashion shades for this summer; with the added benefit that they look great with a tan.
- Metallic eyeshadow: there are plenty of different make-up trends for this season, as I’ve mentioned in previous blogs, but I love a touch of metallic on lids with fresh summer skin and soft, glossy lips. Summer is a time to party and have fun, so do it with panache I say… if you know you won’t be home until the early hours, Infallible eyeshadows are the way to go!
If you love to wear the latest trends but wish you had a few make-up tips up your sleeve to take your look to the next level, then this blog is for you!
For a change, I’ve decided to wear my stylist hat as well as my make-up one! I’ve compiled a list of the most popular fashion trends for this summer with make-up suggestions to compliment each, ensuring your make-up look becomes your best accessory.
Read more …
Warmer weather is a big culprit for causing make-up to slip on the face. The other major make-up destroyer is touching or rubbing the face, often without realising. The latter I can’t do much about (that’s a habit you’ll have to break yourself!) but I can let you in on some make-up artist secrets that will help your make-up wear better and longer, assuming you are not opting to invest in long wear products. Here’s how.
Read more …
If you’re getting married in the next few months or so, being your BFF’s bridesmaid or planning to attend a wedding, you’ll need to make some good make-up choices so you’re prepared for anything and everything – especially tears, weather and the photographer.
Read more …
This month L’Oréal Paris New Zealand will be launching their new Nude Magique CC Creams in stores. “What is a CC cream?” you may well be asking. A CC Cream is a ‘colour corrector’ cream designed to help reduce and address skin that is sallow, dull, fatigued or is prone to redness.
Read more …
Always popular on the catwalks, nude eye make-up is something to aspire to, especially when creating a natural summer make-up look or wearing a bright or dark lip colour or when you time is short.
Read more …
Being a busy mum myself and having days where I covet staying in bed for the longest amount of time possible before starting a 4am job, means I have make-up application down to a fine art. The trick is to keep it simple and highlight your favourite feature/s.
If you too find time is not on your side when you’re wanting or needing to wear make-up, then take a page from my book on looking good fast.
Read more …
New improved formulations, new textures, new finishes, new break through products - the world of foundation is always evolving, with the hopes of helping women find the ultimate skin enhancer.
L’Oréal Paris is a leader in technological advancement and offers a wide variety of foundation formulations, to cater to the needs and wants of all skin types and age groups.
Find out which foundation will give you the skin-enhancing fix you desire.
Read more …